It has been an exciting few weeks. I will provide more details in a few days, but first I’d like to share a completed project.
Remember many months ago when I mentioned making a blouse with this 1940’s pattern?
I picked this bit of fabric up for less than $1. There were some discolored sections along the fold, but I figured I could work around them.
I had to dig to the bottom of a bin to retrieve this material. Finding things like this is what makes me never skip rifling through bins of linens at thrift stores. You really never know when you’ll hit the jackpot.
Anyway, I set to work carefully cutting out my pieces. Then I sewed the sides and shoulders together, as well as all of the darts.
I decided to follow most of what the pattern told me to do, including bound buttonholes.
Here is the bound buttonhole process in pictures:
After I sewed the collar to the shirt, I hand-stitched the bias strip down. For the bias strip I used a section of the fabric that was discolored since it would be on the inside of the blouse.
The inside of the sleeves at the cuffs called for bias strips as well, but I just stitched the seam allowance down on the inside. I sewed the sleeves to the blouse, and hand-stitched the hem of the blouse.
This blouse required a lot of hand-stitching, which I am not usually excited about. I did the majority of the stitching carefully enough that the stitches aren’t visible on the outside of the blouse. It turned out so pretty that I think I’ll be doing more hand-stitching in the future. It just looks so clean and neat without stitches showing everywhere.
I made a blue skirt to go with the top from a thrifted 80s sheath dress. For some reason I’m missing the before picture of the dress, but it’s not important.
For the pictures of the outfit, I decided to do my hair in pin curls.
Here are the pictures of the outfit.
If I make this blouse again, I will probably take the blouse in just a tad, and make the sleeves a little bit smaller.
I think I’d like to make a pair of high-waisted capris and a pair of shorts that would work with this top.
I did take some pictures with my black shorts.