My new sewing machine and I are getting along swimmingly. Oh, we’ve had our share of misunderstandings this first week, but new relationships always require work. 😉 Learning the particulars of a new machine hasn’t allowed me to get too much sewing done this week. However, I do have a dress to share with you, and another on the way.
My youngest sister recently requested that I make her another item of clothing: a dress this time. I obviously couldn’t turn her down, because she is the baby of the family. As many of you surely know, the youngest child/baby/fledgling in the family tends to get whatever they want. 😉
Anyway, I love her and my other three younger sisters to pieces, and I’ve been missing them terribly since moving. So, this was a great way to feel close to them. Even though this dress was only for my youngest sister, making it reminded me of my whole family.
Enough talk about me, let’s move on to the dress.
The dress started out as this big white sack, with cute embroidery and cut outs at the hem and sleeves. I guess it may have been a mini dress, or a tunic. To me, it just seemed really frumpy. It reminded me of a muumuu, except for the length.
If you don’t recall the dress that I’m talking about, here’s a picture of it:
Anyway, I set the dress aside and just pulled it out about a week ago.
My sister loves purple, and I thought I would use parts of this dress for her new dress. I don’t have step-by-step pictures of the process, but I do have a few.
I used most of the dress to create the skirt, cutting it just under the neckline trim. I just re-basted the gathers after cutting the skirt, and stitched the lining and outer skirt back together.
For the bodice, I used a sweet white floral knit. There are various shades of purple, pink and peach in the print. Originally when I drafted the pattern, I didn’t plan on gathering in the center of the bust. However, I think it really gives the bodice a cuter shape.
I made little bias strips with the floral knit to trim the raw edge of the old straps. The bias looks much nicer than a simple fold-and-sew edge would have, and it ties the pieces of the dress together better.
The bodice is completely lined with more of the floral material, and the straps are sewn in between the bodice and the lining. After I attached the bodice and lining together, I sewed the lining to the seam allowance (this ensures that the lining stays in place on the inside of the dress).
Here is the completed dress.