A couple months back, I set out to make a sheath dress from a vintage pattern. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a pattern in the style I was looking for.
I looked through my patterns again and came across the one below (McCalls 8500) from the 60s.
I really liked the wide neckline and the shape of the skirt and top. I decided to combine the top and the skirt in view B, removing the little peplum thing from the top. It was pretty easy to combine the two pieces into a dress.
The fabric that I chose was stretchy enough that a zipper wasn’t really necessary. I can just slip the dress on over my head with no problems.
I knew that the pattern would fit my hips well, but I had to take it in at the bust and the waist.
The bust needed to be adjusted by about an inch on each side, and the waist had to come in about an inch and a half on each side.
At first I thought I might like the length. So, I cut the pieces out without shortening them, but I discovered when I put the dress on for the first time that the length was too much. I can’t seem to find a happy medium because now it’s a bit shorter than I would’ve liked.
I apologize for the lack of step-by-step photos for the process. It was one of those projects that I worked on a little bit at a time, so I didn’t think to take pictures.
With the adjustments I made to the top, the shoulder straps still sit wide on the shoulders (exactly the way I wanted them to sit), but don’t fall of my shoulders. I didn’t dress it up with any jewelry, because all of my jewelry is packed away and I’m not a big jewelry wearer (something I’d like to work on).
I need to find a little shrug to go with this dress. None of my cardigans go well with it. The jacket I’m finishing up looks OK with the dress; it just makes the ensemble look too much like dressy office attire.
I hope everyone enjoyed the Super Bowl festivities yesterday.