The end of last week and this weekend was spent house hunting (Hence, the shortage of posts). The hunt has yielded results. More details later.
Today’s project started as the dress below. I found this dress a while ago, started cutting it apart, and then put aside for months.
I separated the top and bottom portions of the dress, and cut the skirt down to the length I was going for. I shortened the skirt from the top, that way I wouldn’t have to re-hem it. Plus, it gave the skirt more fullness throughout.
Next, I cut a wide strip of black elastic to the proper waist size, and sewed the ends together. I sewed the ends together (right sides together), finished with a zig-zag stitch for a clean look, and top-stitched the seam allowances down.
To gather the top of the skirt, I used basting stitches along the top.
Here’s how the skirt turned out.
I probably would’ve preferred it just a teensy bit shorter, but it’s a good length for the transitional weather between winter and spring. For me, it’s the colors and the print of the skirt as well that evoke the flux between winter and spring.
I bought those grey boots the same day I bought my brown ones (mentioned a few posts back). I got a slammin’ deal on them too. They were originally over $100, and I got them for over 70% off. Yes, I am a bargain shopper, and I am not ashamed.