Grey dress with floral belt

Here is another reconstruction that I only have before and after pictures for, but I still wanted to share it with you. It’s another dress that I thrifted for $1.

Before, it was just pretty blasé and somewhat big throughout.

I separated the top and bottom of the dress, and shortened it from the top of the skirt. When I reattached the bodice and skirt, I added some elastic for ease of wear and to bring the waist in more.

The shoulders were too big. So, I removed the sleeves, shaved a bit off the shoulders and reshaped the armholes and sleeves. I also removed the sleeve cuffs and hemmed the bottom of the sleeves.

I created a little belt to add some color to the whole ensemble. The belt is long enough that it can be tied like an obi belt or like a sash. Here’s a close-up of the floral print on the belt.

I wear this dress and belt paired with some magenta tights (which match the color in the belt). The tights are bright, but I love them!

The dress looks nice paired with boots, flats or pumps. I think I’m going to shorten the sleeves more; I don’t like the way I look with elbow length sleeves.

Advertisements

About Becca

I am a self-taught seamstress, and I love to create unique women’s clothing. This blog is a record of the hodgepodge of sewing projects that occupy my time. Reconstruction projects are my favorite, but I also create clothing from my own designs using both recycled and new materials.
This entry was posted in clothing, diy, dress, fashion, sewing, thrifted, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s