I’ve got another remake from my closet for you today. It was one of the projects that I didn’t get to on my list of possibilities for the Burdastyle remake contest.
I pondered for a long time about what to do with the jacket below.
Once I had it taken most of it apart, I still didn’t know what I was going to do.
First I toyed with the idea of creating a vest. I liked the idea so much that I started cutting out pieces to go that route.
I removed the collar and sleeves of the jacket,
And cut it at the waistline.
I even grabbed some buttons and a black portion from the remainder of the dress below (I’ve used pieces of it for about four different projects now) to use for a vest.
However, I changed my mind when I attempted to give it the proper shape. I was getting frustrated when I couldn’t get it to work; I knew if I was going to make a vest, it had to be perfectly tailored or I would hate it.
So, rather than allow frustration to take hold, I simply changed my plans.
I decided to make these pieces of the jacket into a dress, with the help of the bottom of this dress.
I cut the bottom off, removed all of the buttons and sewed up all of the flaps. The open front (where the buttons were) would become the back of the dress, allowing for a zipper.
The front of the jacket became the back of the bodice, making it easier to add a zipper. I began re-shaping the bodice by creating new shoulder seams and a new neckline.
I then added some darts on the front and back,
And contemplated a cowl neck for the dress.
At first I thought I’d use the black recycled material for the cowl, but then I remembered the sleeves of the jacket. Once I put all of the pieces together with the sleeve cowl, I was sold.
Below is a picture of how I attached the sleeves to one another at the wrists, closing the armholes in on one another.
I sewed all of the bodice darts and pieces together, and tried out the cowl in different positions on the dress form.
First, I was going to make a cowl like the one pictured above, but it wouldn’t quite fit with the neckline. Plus, I was inspired when I saw the neckline on this little number on Modcloth.
So, I cut the cuff I’d removed from one of the sleeves into a smaller ring to put around the cowl in the middle of the neckline.
Before I could add the cowl, I had to add the skirt of the dress, and attach the zipper.
Then, I sewed the cowl around the neckline, making sure to include the little cuff ring in the middle front.
Then I top-stitched around the neckline on the right side, sewing the seam allowance down on the inside.
I chopped a bit off of the length, after trying the dress on.
Originally, I was going to leave the dress sleeveless. However, when I had extra material from the bottom of the skirt, I decided to experiment with some sleeves.
I added the sleeves and buttons, and hemmed the bottom of the dress.
Here is the dress made form a jacket…Well, sort of.
The cowl can actually be worn in different ways. It can be made to stand up more or less, with the majority of the volume in the front or more evenly distributed.
The cowl can also be made more rounded as the previous pictures, or it can have points in the front, as in the picture below.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I added elastic under the bust for a better fit–as you may have deduced from the first two pictures. So, it looks good with or without a belt.
The skirt has a nice shape that makes it perfect for twirling. 😉
Here are some shots of the back.
Sorry for the ridiculous amount of details in this post. It really would have gotten more than a little confusing if I had left things out. Believe me, this was the condensed version.
I have a lot of projects currently, but here’s a preview of one that should make an appearance in the near future.