There are two dresses in this post. So, be sure to keep reading to see the second. 🙂
The first dress was inspired by another dress.
I had this picture of a dress from ModCloth saved to my desktop.
It was a while ago, so I can’t find it on their website now. Anyway, I had saved it to my desktop because I wanted to make a dress like it, with the fabric below.
That fabric would’ve been absolutely perfect for mimicking the look of the ModCloth dress, but unfortunately I didn’t have quite enough of that fabric (I’d used some of it for another project since). So, I chose this fabric instead.
I was eventually going to draft my own pattern for the dress. Then, I found a vintage pattern in a box that my grandmother gave to me last weekend (Thanks a million times over!). The resemblance to the ModCloth dress is amazing!
I know, the armholes and neckline are slightly different…but I actually liked the pattern better, so we were golden!
I decided to go the “no zipper” route as well, so changes had to be made to that part of the pattern. I wanted the dress to be as loose and “flowy” as possible, but I had to adjust each piece a little because it was a tad too big. I also made the tab shorter and made the edges straight rather than pointed; it would look better because of the stretch.
The other concern was the length, because the shorter version was still longer than necessary.
I made sure that the front, back and underarm pieces were all shortened in the same place and that the new seam lines matched.
I then cut out to the button tab.
After the pieces were cut out, it was time to park myself at the sewing machine. I sewed up the pieces, serged the seams, and finished all of the edges. Then I gave it a blind hem, because I love how clean blind hems look on knits.
The finished product does look something like a dress you might buy from ModCloth (except MUCH longer than most of their dresses—they are almost all mini-length).
I am happy with the result, but I just don’t think the style suits me very well. The dress is still a bit big for my taste—it fits more like something between a medium and small.
With a long sleeve shirt underneath and some tights, it’ll be perfect for the cooler weather ahead.
The second dress for today was created with recycled and new materials.
The top of the dress was part of a clearance dress I’d ordered from ModCloth months ago. I didn’t like the way it fit. Honestly, most women probably would have found the fit unflattering, hence the reason it was so inexpensive. So, I decided I’d use it to make other things (because I was in love with the print).
I had cut some of it apart to make something with it, but forgot what my plans were for it. Anyway, I didn’t find all of the pieces, but the pieces I did find, I used to create the dress.
There was lining on the inside of the bodice piece, to which I attached the green sleeves to create a faux layered look.
I had previously cut some little rectangles out of the dress (again, I have no idea what for), and I sewed those together and folded them to create the accent hem along the bottom of the dress.
It can be worn with a little ribbon through the belt loops or with a cute vintage belt. There is a lot of room in this dress, because I didn’t add any elastic. I may add some in the future, but I like how the gathering looks without the elastic.