It’s time to show the ‘80s some love, with this dress by Paquette Too.
When I saw this little beauty hanging at the thrift store, I was immediately drawn to it. As soon as my eyes glimpsed the sliver of a bright floral pattern on a black background, I was sold. Luckily it didn’t break the bank, at $3. (I never spend over $5 on an item. The average price of my thrifted goodies is about $2 or under. Yesterday’s dresses, for example, were $4 together.)
I used to feel that the ‘80s were the worst time in the history of fashion, but I’ve recently re-evaluated that assumption. There are some aspects of ‘80s fashion that can be acceptable.
So, let’s start with the things that are brilliant about this dress:
-Bright floral fabric, in a light and airy material? Check.
-Buttons down the back, a loose, flowing skirt, and elastic at the waist? Check, check… and check.
I think I was drooling as I looked at the dress in the thrift store, and dreamed about what it could be.
Now that I had it home, I had to get to work. As you probably already guessed, the first step was removing those abhorrent shoulder pads.
I actually really didn’t mind the sleeves, but once the shoulder pads came off, they looked pretty sad. So, I would have to deal with them when I worked on the bodice.
The bodice portion of the dress was too long. Unless I magically grew by eight inches, something had to be done. Separation of the skirt and bodice was inevitable, followed by trimming the trunk of the bodice.
The next step was shortening the skirt a bit.
I wanted to change up the neckline, so I juggled around the idea of creating a sweetheart neckline. This meant I would need a little elastic down the center front of the bodice, and the bodice would need to be more fitted.
As I was experimenting, I realized that there was just too much of this floral. I needed to add a solid color in somewhere. So, I grabbed a nice blue shirt from American Apparel that I’ve worn once, if at all. It was time to get it some time outside of the drawer.
I used the blue shirt to cut out a new bodice, using some of the excess floral fabric for an accent strip along the top. To create the straps, I cut off the end of the floral sleeves.
I plan on using the rest of the floral bodice for another dress (I just can’t give up on that button-up back).
After cutting and prepping the new bodice, it was off to the sewing machine.
Since I didn’t want to be wearing a crop-top anytime soon, I joined the new bodice and skirt.
Elastic was necessary for a good fit. I reattached the elastic, using a shorter length of it for a better fit. The sewing machine had to keep chuggin’ away.
Finally I was approaching the thrill of completion.
I hemmed the bottom of the dress, and added a little button to the middle of the bodice.
This new dress says, “I love the ‘80s, but I’m not stuck in them.”
Tune in for a later post to find out the fate of the top of the dress.
The colors look really vibrant in the following picture, and I wanted to leave you with a picture of Newton and his antics.